Wednesday, July 17, 2013

John Frieda Go Blonder Spray/Conditioner/Shampoo and Paul Mitchell’s Platinum Toning Shampoo Review


I just wanted to do a post on the John Frieda Go Blonder Series, because I have heard so many online horror stories. Not everyone has a bad experience! Let me go through a little of my hair history, so you can see if your hair might have the same effect.
May 2013:
Photo on 2013-05-14 at 18.32
You can see I had med/dark brown roots with highlights that had grown out into an almost accidental ombre look. Summer was starting, and I wanted to really lighten up.
At the very beginning of June, I asked a hairstylist to lighten my base to a light brown with naturally blended dark ash blonde highlights. This is what I got (6/11/13):
Photo on 2013-06-11 at 09.21
Tiger stripes. Kill me. She darkened my base, and gave me UN-natural chunky orange highlights.
Take Two: I went to another stylist, who wove in tiny full head highlights to try to break up the dark. Then she gave me as much toner as she thought my head could handle to help with the orange. I ended up here (6/12/13):
Photo on 2013-06-12 at 14.58
SO much better. (Trust me, I was too embarrassed to even take a picture of the tiger stripes with my hair down). But I could still see some of the chunky highlight in there, despite her best efforts, and my hair still wasn’t as light as I wanted it to be.
Take Three (6/26/13): I went to one last stylist who restructured the highlights, and gave me a haircut. This is what it looked like after:
Photo on 2013-06-26 at 16.24
Much much better, but there was still darkness and brassiness, in my opinion. At this point, I decided to take it upon myself to do the rest. 
I bought John Frieda’s Go Blonder Series, which I had heard mixed reviews on, but decided to give a shot. I knew I was taking a risk since this product ADAMANTLY tells you not to use it with brown hair. However, I figured since I had a lot of highlights, I might be able to get away with it.
I washed my hair with the shampoo and conditioner (which I think smell amazingly citrusy/herby), and then put my hair up into sections (4 horizontally) after lightly towel drying it. I then sprayed each section from root to tip and blow-dried before moving on to the next section. I sprayed enough that every part of my hair got sprayed, but not enough that it was soaked or dripping by any means. After my whole head was done, I went over it with my Chi straightening iron. (Directions say for maximum lightening, to use a straightener or curling iron) Here are the results after the first time (7/10/13):
Photo on 2013-07-10 at 17.39 #2
Photo on 2013-07-10 at 17.39
My hair definitely looks a little dry and you can see a few brassy streaks, probably from some of the darker pieces. I decided to buy a toning shampoo to take out any brassiness or orange that might occur, because I had a nightmare experience with Sun-In as a naive 13 year old in the summer by the pool. When I went to Ulta, they recommended Paul Mitchell Platinum, as it has a high pigmentation of purple. After the first session, I used the toning shampoo twice, and then decided to go for a second session (7/16/13):
Photo on 2013-07-16 at 14.27
Photo on 2013-07-16 at 14.27 #3
Photo on 2013-07-16 at 14.27 #2
I feel like there is a large difference in brassiness, and my hair is much brighter if not lighter. My hair is also in much better condition than the first time I sprayed, because I have been diligently soaking my hair in conditioner in the shower.
I’ll update with the next session! Let me know if any brunettes have experience with using these products!

No comments:

Post a Comment